Rain and other stuff……….

03 Jun

We have some observations about Washington and its weather while volunteering at the Coast Artillery Museum in Ft. Worden for 2-1/2 months. 

First, we’ve learned a new meteorological term:  “Sun break”.  This is when the sun peeks out through the cloudy, rainy weather once in a while, usually for four minutes.  These breaks almost never occur at night.

I think the air mass over Washington is so dense that the temperature can never change.  The atmosphere, coupled with the water, is a giant heat sink that absorbs temperature variations. 

Last week, we drove around for two days from early morning to late evening and experienced rain, cloudiness, long and short sun breaks, wind, calm, etc.  We went from coast to inland and from open areas to thick trees.  We covered 120 miles.  The temperature was 59 degrees the whole time.  When we got back home at 10:30 pm, it was 59 degrees.  When we got up early the next morning, the temperature was 59 degrees.  Since we got here in mid-March it’s been 59 plus or minus 2 degrees. 

We visited the Naval Undersea Museum 30 miles south of here yesterday.  Among the many exhibits, we saw a mobile decompression chamber for divers.  I think we’ll use it when we’re ready to leave Washington.  That way we’ll feel normal when we reach the “surface”.Image

When does summer arrive?  We’ve been told it’s in July.

We talked to an older couple we met at the beach one afternoon.  He wears long-johns 8 months a year!

I walked into the museum the day before yesterday and announced:  “It’s not raining!  I demand an explanation!”

Another volunteer and I are trying to paint two light poles at the park entrance.  We scraped off some of the old paint but it’s been raining ever since.  We may not get done until summer (July). 


What a coincidence the day before we visited the Naval Undersea Museum.  We were starting to cross the Hood Canal Bridge when all traffic stopped and the bridge was raised.  Far off in the distance we saw four boats coming in.  A Trident-Class nuclear submarine, escorted by a Coast Guard boat on each side and two Navy boats front and rear, crept through the Hood Canal, heading for the Bremerton Naval Shipyard.  We didn’t have our good camera gear but Arlyne got a decent shot with her phone.   I counted cars on the bridge and roads leading to the bridge and I estimate 400 cars were stopped for 30 minutes during rush hour, waiting for the sub to pass.


I played golf a few days ago, between rain storms.  I had a nice birdie on No. 7, a par 3, with a 4 foot putt, but the rest of the round was not memorable.  It’s raining as I write this.

However, I have to say that the weather is finally starting to turn.  We went to see the eagles again and the day was superb.  We finally saw the little eaglet sticking his head up.


As quick as I can, I’m going to publish some new photos of the eagles.  The little family has become very active and we get lots of nice family photos.  Later

Leave a comment

Posted by on June 3, 2013 in Bird Lover


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: